A new volume of The Science of Gymnastics: Data & Graphs for Science Lab has arrived! Volume 4 features 24 brightly colored graphs depicting a variety of moves on pommel horse, parallel bars, and rings, plus handstands. Many of the moves are available for viewing in a series of free videos on the publisher's YouTube site under the playlist Gymnastics.
The graph below is excerpted from the Volume 4:
- Describe the minimum and the maximum value for each variable.
- How high do the feet travel? Are the feet ever higher than the hips? Than the head?
- During this sequence of moves, are the legs straight? Is the body straight?
- Describe the initial and final positions of the legs.
- Can the height of the parallel bars be determined from this graph? If so, what is it?
- If this graph shows the swings slowed by 2x, what is the timing of the actual swings?